Thursday 1 March 2012

The Perfect Intro

By L. Abirami
(Abirami joined as a student of Swami in Class 4 in 1995 and has been fortunate to graduate with her B.Sc. in Home Science and her M. Sc. in Food Science and Technology under Swami’s direct guidance. She also has a specialization in dietetics and food service management. She combines a loving heart and genuine care for patients in her current role as dietitian in the Sri Sathya Sai General Hospital. In this article Abirami shares her experience of seeing Swami for the first time and how the Lord left an indelible mark in her life).

How did the universal lord walk in to your life??
I hear this question being posed to many people out there and each has a unique and gratifying experience to narrate. A loving glance, an electrifying look, a word of assurance, gentle touch, all perfect examples for love at first sight.

Going down my memory lane, I still remember the horror when we set out for Puttaparthi. I was barely 5 years old when one October morning my mother said we are going to see God. My heart skipped a beat, for me God was nothing but the one who watches all that we do and punishes us by burning us in big cauldrons of boiling oil. All my pranks of stealing chocolates, gooseberries and disobeying came flooding to my mind, I knew my end was near. I made a “master plan” and decided I will not show my face to God, then He will never know who I am (foolish me!)

The day arrived; we were seated on sand awaiting His arrival. There was a hush, the dharshan had begun. I behaved like a perfect ostrich dug my head down, just wanted to hide completely from Him. Within few minutes I could see an orange form standing right in front of me. I knew at that moment I was caught for the oil bath, and then I heard Him In a voice so sweet He asked why I sat with my father? Yes I knew this was the trick to see my face, stubborn me, did not lift my head in spite of everyone nudging me. After about a couple of minutes He moved away. I was in ecstasy, my master plan worked. My joy was momentary. He suddenly came back, and once again stopped, tears began to trickle down my face. I still hung my head down. All I could feel was a shower of akshatas (yellow rice grains), falling on my head and people were enthralled. Automatically I looked up; there He stood in complete splendor with the most benevolent and an enchanting smile. My joy knew no bounds. All I could think was He is a good God.

That day He made the best entry in to my life, a perfect intro, a smile and a loving look that could wash away all my fears. I recollect a poem-

“We met as strangers
Though we knew each other.
Now that I am with you,
Let your house be my Home,
Where we can share our joy forever.

Enrolling in to his prestigious institutions, studying and growing right under His canopy of love and care, each day spent has been a wonderful experience.
As a mother, ensuring that all her children was fed well. Checking on our health time and again, for the mother all that mattered was her dear ones were safe and happy.
As a friend giving small and big surprises of distributing chocolates, ice creams, torches, watches, dolls, pens, saris, it’s a never ending list of gifts with love as price tags.
As a father admonishing about low marks, to study seriously, to work hard and come up to His expectations.
As a philosopher explaining simple facts and truths about life with beautiful anecdotes. He was the perfect gift all of us could get from our parents.
We came, we saw and He conquered us.
His love fosters life, it’s the noblest gift which was and is so pure, selfless, sublime and all pervasive.
Life will have its own ups and downs; it may take a U turn or do a somersault. Whatever the situation may be with each problem we face, our faith in Him should grow stronger and stronger. Precious Swami I pray...

Oh, lord

Lead kindly light amidst the encircling gloom,
Lead thou me on;
The night is dark and I am far from home…lead me on.
Keep thou my feet. I do not ask to see, the distance scene one step enough for me.
I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path;
But now thou lead me on.
I loved the garish day, and spite fears,
Pride ruled my will; remember not past years
So long thy power hath blesseth me; Sure it will still lead me on


No comments: