Thursday 1 November 2012

A Journey Within


-By Sriram S.
(Sri Ram. S is an MSc (Math) and MBA grad from Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning. He was also the University Brass band leader, a mandir bhajan singer and one of the founders of the alumni Band Group known as Rhythmic Energy. Post studies he worked in the IT industry for over 6 years after which he moved on and is currently a practising Clinical Integrated Hypnotherapist working out of Bangalore. He has founded Sunshine Wellness Studio (www.SunshineStudio.in) that aims at using various modalities of hypnotherapy for healing. Feel free to write in on your experiences and also if you have any further queries at info@SunshineStudio.in )


Forging a Relationship with the “Inert”

I wonder if there is anything at all that could be termed ‘inert’. As a child I grew up believing that all objects that I get in touch with have ‘feelings’. So if my pen would not write well and if I cursed it, I would immediately retract my harsh statements. I believed that the pen could actually hear me and would ‘feel bad’. I had amazing parents who listened with open mindedness and never derided my belief systems. If anything they strengthened it. So what I wrote below is something very natural to me. I am not unaware of the raised eyebrows and mildly skeptical looks when I talk about this to others. Nevertheless, try to read through with an open mind and try out the steps and please do get back to me with your experience.



At Sunshine Studio we have a regular group session called ‘Recharge Yourself with Sunshine’ wherein it is our endeavor to find ways and means to simply be Happy & positive always. This article is from a session conducted recently. The session was on making our relationship with the so called inert objects work. We all are aware of and try to make our relationships work in life. We look at relationships with other people around. Maybe our pets. How often do we ‘connect’ and try to understand our relationship with the objects we use or work with?


Firstly, let me share how this came about. The innocence of my childhood gave way for logical thoughts and conclusions, which meant that I was no longer as sensitive as I used to be with the objects in my life. Until a few years back, I was driving my car and the car broke down in the middle of nowhere. I called for the Hyundai 24hr emergency help and two mechanics showed up very soon. But they were unable to figure out the issue and the car engine just would not start. They advised me to get a tow-truck and on calling I realized it would be close to ‘never’ when the truck could reach where I was.


Suddenly a thought struck me. I recalled my childhood attitude with respect to objects and how I believed that they could listen to me. So mentally I spoke to my car. I said, “Even if I had to take you to the garage it would be quicker if you worked! So please start”. With trust in my heart and a mild anticipation of things to come I turned the key and the engine just came to life!! I was pleasantly surprised. The mechanics told me NOT to drive as there was a serious issue with the car. I thanked them but KNEW that my car had actually responded.


So I drove away to the garage. As I drove it was such a smooth drive that just for a fraction of a second I wondered if I needed to go to a garage at all. Immediately I corrected myself and told my car that I will keep my word. I made a beeline to the service station where my car underwent some major repairs for the next 2-3 days.


In my conscious memory, I see this as the point where I started to relate to objects in my life like how I did when I was a child. There has been no looking back. My iPhone stopped working and after spending some amount on repairs when it seemed like all hope was lost I had quite a miraculous moment when my iPhone came back to life and I still use it very gratefully.


Have you had your own irrational or irritable moments with your devices and applicances? Your mobile phone? Your car? Have you had moments where you needed something to work … and it DID?! Those moments when you felt grateful for these so called inert objects that actually add loads of value to our lives?


Well, if you do resonate, watch this space as I write out some steps in establishing (and hopefully creating) a meaningful and pleasurable relationship with the “inert” world.


Please feel free to write to me for any further clarifications or to share your experiences and views at
Sri@SunshineStudio.in

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sairam. Sent an email to your info account. Enjoyed reading this piece (and others in previous editions). I had this experience once with an ailing PC that suddenly booted up after some reiki and some pleading :). Thanks for reminding me of that incident from a long time ago.

Lalita

Soumya said...

My laptop screwed up once and would not charge. I was so mad and "screamed" at it. But then I cooled down and requested it to please charge and voila..... it did.

Chax said...

Felt good to c this kiddo !
Jada(Inert) and Chaitanya(Active) interplay roles in the universe in many ways.
We undermine the power of mind sometimes and the anecdotes that you describe here may be those rare instances of mind tuning into the higher-consciousness.