Tuesday 1 May 2012

A Journey Within

By Sri Ram S.
(Sri Ram. S is an MSc (Math) and MBA grad from Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning. He was also the University Brass band leader, a mandir bhajan singer and one of the founders of the alumni Band Group known as Rhythmic Energy. Post studies he worked in the IT industry for over 6 years after which he moved on and is currently a practising Clinical Integrated Hypnotherapist working out of Bangalore. He has founded Sunshine Wellness Studio (www.SunshineStudio.in) that aims at using various modalities of hypnotherapy for healing.Feel free to write in on your experiences and also if you have any further queries at info@SunshineStudio.in )


Mana eva manushyanaam karanam bandha mokshayoho! We have heard these words from Bhagwan many times where He tells us that the mind is the key to man’s bondage as well as liberation. When I heard these during His discourses, it was yet another pearl of wisdom spoken by the Lord. Well, that was it! At that time I was unaware that Swami had a very beautiful journey planned for me as I traversed through practical methods of utilizing this knowledge for my own and others’ growth. I completed my MBA and went on to work in the conventional corporate world in a Program Management role. As years flew by I was certain that I was meant to be doing something closer to my heart. Life and experiences got me to learn a course in Hypnotherapy from CHII. I found the course to be an eye-opener that taught me to go deeper within and understand myself better. It was just a matter of time and Divine Will before I moved out of my regular job and took up hypnotherapy as my profession. Through this section, by Swami’s grace, I shall share my experiences, theories, knowledge garnered and also simple techniques in making this journey within, a more joyous and enlightening one. In each article, we would take up one topic and where relevant or possible we would have a simple exercise or technique to go with.

This edition’s topic is: WHERE DO I FIND THE ANSWERS I SEEK?

What some may call ‘problems’, others may view as ‘opportunities’. Either way, we are all Divine Souls on a journey. We are here by choice and not chance. We choose our experiences, ups and downs, successes and failures, each leading and prodding our Soul forward in evolution. And yet, how often do we stand and look at life with a seeming disorientation and a million questions? Many of them seem to lead us to dead ends or dark spaces of uncertainty. And if we have chosen the path ourselves, why are we unaware of it? And more importantly, where could we find the answers?!

The answer is WITHIN! I am sure practically everyone has heard this multiple times. How many of us, however have FOUND the answers? This is what this series is all about. Watch this space for more as I share some clues and techniques I have learnt.

Exercise: Breath

I leave you with a simple breath exercise today. If the mind is the key to the answers, our breath is the key to our mind! Have you noticed how your breathing is rapid or shallow or fast when you are agitated? Have you noticed how calm and easy it is when you are at peace? This first technique teaches us how to relax and get to a calm state immediately (no matter how intense the situation or agitation may be).

1. Take in a deep breath for 9 seconds (you could start with lesser if you are not used to it; you could also use a count for defining the length or duration of inhalation).

2. Hold your breath for an equal duration (9 seconds as suggested)

1. Release or exhale in an equal duration of time (You could exhale through your mouth whenever you need to release a negative emotion or pain; exhale through your nose when you are looking to calm down and find answers).

2. Repeat this breathing pattern and over time you will find that without concentrating on the count you are able to keep your breathing regulated and uniform. Simple isn’t it? Life’s lessons are always simple just as Swami used to teach us through the most easy ways. You could use this in a moment of stress or make this a habitual exercise each morning when you meditate.

Look out for the next sequel in this series on “A Journey Within” in Venugaanam.


No comments: